Monday, June 12, 2006

Comics

This weekend I went to the MoCCA Art Festival to see my friend Rosemary and her new comics. I picked up her lovely, boldly-inked, and educational Mid-Cambrian Morning, about some crustaceans (?) living in a wacky period of evolution, 540 million years ago.

I also picked up a copy of Heart & Brain: A Turning Story, by Fay Ryu, as I naturally gravitate to pictures and stories about those (and other) internal organs. It's a wordless story of, you guessed it, a meeting between a heart and a brain in a garden. I won't give away the ending but it's both touching and devastating.

Finally, on a related note, Teachers College is having a gallery opening called "Learning Inside (and Outside) the Box". It's a show devoted to the combination of creative thinking with traditional literacy skills and it exhibits original comic books by children made over the 2005-06 school year. Follow the link for details.

No comments: